Iceland is a land of stark contrast. Fiery volcanoes and icy glaciers. Dark winter nights and long, light summer nights. Resilient viking forefathers and the sweetest ponies you’ll ever meet.
What a better place to kick off your honeymoon? We spent 9 days travelling around the entire Ring Road. 5 of the 9 nights we spent sleeping under the stars in some of the best camping sites we’ve ever found. Following Iceland, we headed to the Faroe Islands for a week!
Know Before You Go!
- Eat the hot dogs! This is a must! Sadly, we have no pictures. I guess we were too busy scarfing them down.
- Many people have quick stopovers in Iceland and therefore don’t have time to circumnavigate the entire Ring Road. If you’re strapped for time, we’d likely suggest heading south.
- Any less than 9 days on the Ring Road and you're missing out! Check out our itinerary here.
- Iceland is no longer a secret. In fact, it can feel like you’re in a Disney Land of sorts as you wait in line with a hoard of other tourists to see that waterfall; however, the further away you get from Reykjavik and the Ring Road, the more likely you’ll be able to capture magical moments of solitude in Iceland's varied landscape.
- We traveled in Fall 2016 and only had reservations made for our first and last night in town. This was not a problem for the two of us. Wild camping is a GREAT option! Check out our Camping in Iceland post for more details.
- Iceland can be pricey. We combated this with camping and thrifty grocery store meals consisting of bread, salami and cheese.
- A day in Iceland isn't complete without a dip in a hot pot. Check out hotpoticeland.com to find one near you!